Death
Just went to a funeral of my paternal side uncle.I already told my manager few days ago that I couldn't work today and apparently she forgot. So she called me so early in the morning and I was still asleep and stuff, in the end she did opening alone. And in the end it was like my fault -.- BUT IT WASN'T. Anyway I called her back and she didn't pick up so I was like suah, I'll talk to her tmr. Not my fault -.- Screwed up situation, sure kena scolding tmr -.- Went to dinner with family at Tonkatsu King (something like that), then went to stock up on N95 masks(last batch of masks YES lucky) and got some herbal stuff. Then went to the funeral, really really saddening. The sadness really stabs deep into your heart, even though I only see him once a year and I'm not even close to that side of the family. He was really young, late 50s, but due to heavy drinking and smoking, got lungs cancer. Within 2 months of detection he was already gone. It's just so so hard to believe, like someone you see every year during CNY, just gone... The last memory was him being well and really loud and drinking and sleeping and drooling. And the next is during the funeral.I think the most heartbreaking part was seeing him in the coffin itself. Death isn't pretty, plus the coroners can only do that much. I could not believe how different someone can look, couldn't even see any sort of resemblance. It just felt very very strange and surreal, a sort of disbelief. I didn't want to look anymore because I just couldn't believe this person in front of my eyes is the same one I remembered, it just sort of ruins the impression. The family was visibly sad but coping well. Idk what else to think about but really pity this poor poor family. First the son shotgun marriage, the baby came(good thing!), but the wife left, the son became single parent, the mum got cancer, recovered thanks to chemo, then now the dad died. It's just many many misfortunes within a year. After that the relative chatted about him, all the fond memories and funny stories, laughing about him, making small jokes. Helps to kill the sombre atmosphere.After all these thoughts and happenings, just made me reflect on a lot of things. 1. Stay healthy, at least make an effort to. NO to smoking and drinking. Reduces your risk of cancer and basically every other type of illness. 2. No to shotgun. Just leave things to after marriage. Shotgun would not end well. 3. Cherish everyone around you. Death can come pretty quickly. 4. Death is not pretty, so it's better to remember the good things and the person in your heart. 5. Work hard, but enjoy life at the same time too. 6. Don't live with regrets. 7. Plan your death well, we're still young but once we have responsibilities this becomes very important. This uncle of mine plans really well so I've heard. Everything was left very clear. This is actually very important for the people around, no conflicts, provides a type of closure, decisions will be made with your choice, your way. For example, my uncle asked the doctors to not put in the external respirator. He wants to go naturally. If this decision is handled by the family, most likely the respirator will be put in to prolong his life. But it will come with a hard decision that will have to be made eventually, turning off the respirator. When the patient is brain dead, a coma that he won't wake up from, all muscles not functional enough to keep him alive, the only thing left keeping him alive is the respirator. How will the family decide to turn the respirator off? When to? It gives the false hope that he's still alive, when he's not. Turning off the machine equates to killing him, when the family turns it off, to them it feels like murder and the pain of losing a loved one is probably doubled or tripled. I myself would not wish to push this pain onto my loved ones. Cherish life and stay healthy everyone. You know sometimes when you see the older generation looking through the newspapers, they will pause at the obituaries section. With muted breath, they will look at all the faces on that page hoping not to see someone they recognise. One day, we all have to do that too... Sadly. I shall go watch Community (American TV series) to bring away some of the sadness. Watch it everyone! It's quite funny! Labels: thoughts 0 comment[s] | back to top |